Monday, February 25, 2008

"The Day Oscar Tomorrow...."



Just some random thoughts from the 80th annual Academy Awards from last night.

-Jon Stewart is a wicked host. Best line of the night when Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova won for best song (Once). After a wicked speech, Jon Stewart "He's so arrogant"

-Solid moment was when they brought back Marketa Irglova to say her thank you, because they cut her off and her speech was solid.

-Best thank you speech may have been a tie between those two and Javier Bardem. The last part in Spanish was a nice touch.

-I liked how there was no front runner this year. It made for much more exciting results, although I think Daniel Day Lewis was a lock for best actor even though I have not seen the film, I had heard enough about his performance I took him in my Oscar Pool.

-Best presenters clearly was Seth Rogen and Jonah Hill. But when Steve Carel asked "is this being broadcast in Belgium?" I lost it!

-The whole bit about the secrecy of the envelopes and results was beyond lame, but Stewart saved it after a nice ad lib joke.


-Viggo Mortgensen sporting a Montreal Canadiens wristband.

-It was awesome seeing an ex-stripper winning an Academy Award...'nuff said.

-I'm pumped that No Country came away with best film. It was one of the few I had a chance to see this year. I can't say it was better than the other ones nominated, but it was better than Juno. I still am baffled as to why that was nominated for best film...

-Overall a solid show, but nothing really memorable sticks out.

Movies I instantly want to see as a result of the Academy Awards:

There Will Be Blood (tried seeing it before but didn't have time)
Eastern Promises
Away From Her
In The Valley Of Elah

No comments: