Monday, December 3, 2007

I can't give it justice!



Japanese film is very interesting and innovative in a lot of ways. I am very partial of course, but I rented a movie called The Suicide Club last night.

It was what I would deem a satire, but its certainly open to interpretation. It has elements of comedy, thriller, horror, drama, mystery and pathos. The film was praised by critics and was awarded the most groundbreaking film at the Fant-Asia film festival in 2002.

I think some understanding of Japanese culture and how suicide is viewed in Japan would certainly give the viewer a deeper appreciation of the movie. However, that being said it certainly could stand up against other foreign films and hold it's own despite the lack of cultural knowledge the viewer might have.

Check out this link here to get an outline of the story. Totally worth checking out if you are a foreign film fan, and specifically a Japanese film fan.

1 comment:

millie said...

Oh...before I read your synopsis of the movie I thought it was about all the girls you slept with in Japan forming a club.
LOL