Saturday, November 17, 2007

American Gangster...save it for a rental



I saw American Gangster last night. I was really geeked to see it, but in the final analysis I don't think it lived up to people's expectations.

When you have guys like Russell Crowe and Denzel Washington, it's natural to expect big things. But it never happened...I was waiting for it and waiting for it...nothing.

While watching Denzel I just felt like it was deja vu.Like he's a great, proven, consistent actor, but his style and demeanor is the same in virtually every movie. American Gangster was no exception, even though he was good in it, his performance certainly didn't blow you away. The supporting cast was pretty weak and left the top two guys to completely carry the movie.

It was a typical mob/gangster movie and to be honest I wouldn't even have it in my top five mob movies. Pretty average from beginning to end.

Some good points about the movie though:

-Cuba Gooding Jr. as a badass street thug. He still hasn't recovered fully from 'Boat Trip'(shudder)

-Russell Crowe wearing a wide variety of Hawaiian shirts

-Killer soundtrack and wardrobe

So yeah, pretty short today, but save American Gangster for rental, it's worth it on rental, not seeing it at the cinema.

No comments: