Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The black sitcom is about to go the way of the T-Rex



Caught an episode of 'Fresh Prince' this afternoon after work. I got to start thinking, where are all the black sitcoms now?

Now I know 'Everyone Hates Chris' has been/is very successful, but it's on the CW Network aka TV purgatory. But in recent memory, what successful black sitcom comes to mind? My Wife and Kids? The Bernie Mac Show? I was seriously drawing a complete blank! I will be the first to say I don't watch much tv as it is, so I decided to wikipedia this to see how out of touch I was. These are the sitcoms it listed:

2000s
All of Us
The Bernie Mac Show
The Boondocks
Cuts
Eve
Everybody Hates Chris
Fatherhood
Girlfriends
Half & Half
Hey Monie
Whoopi
Love, Inc.
Moesha
My Wife and Kids
One on One
The Parkers
The Proud Family
Romeo!
That's So Raven
The Tracy Morgan Show
Noah's Arc
House of Payne
The Game
Second Time Around

*credit wikipedia

I wasn't crazy or out of touch! Has anyone even heard of any of these sitcoms? Sufficed to say I reckon a lot of these shows were probably born and killed on CW 'senior' aka the WB Network.

Now take those sitcoms and compare the black sitcoms of yesteryear. Here are just a few:

Good Times
Fresh Prince of Bel Air
Martin
The Jeffersons
The Cosby Show
The Jamie Foxx Show
Different Strokes
Sanford and Son

So what the hell happened? I really have no idea!
But I really hope the black sitcom does make a comeback, but alas I guess I will settle for CAVEMEN instead.

No comments: